In the Reflective Mirror / Various Artistic Influences 03: why ask questions about art
What do you expect from art? How does art feel when it is
found? Where do you find art? Can art be here but not there? Is art on the
street? Why is art beautiful? Is art beautiful only when seen? Does art answer philosophical
questions? Does your child make art knowingly? Is art around the corner from
where you live? Do you dine near art? Is art inside your home, but not on your
wall? Can art be lost? Does art have longevity and sustainability? Is art your
religion? Is point A to point B art? Is art in an industrial park or in a
trailer park or in the park? Is art mobile? Is art agile? Is art sensitive unto
itself? Is art fragile? Does art have emotions? Is art dead?
What is modern art? What is post-modern art? What is
impressionism? What is expressionism? What is conceptualism? Is art abstract?
Is art figurative? Is art delineated by isms? Is art an analog tape loop? Is
art a digital sequence? Is art a light reflected? Is art a moment in time? Is
art a movement in contrast? Is art a reality unknown? Can art be more than it appears? Is
art a collection of artists? Is art a contract? Can art be voided, misplaced or
oppressed? Does art need to be more? Does art save the day? Can art save when it
has failed? Will art survive when it is destroyed? Does art breathe? Will art breathe
in us? Is art under water, in the sky, in a mother’s womb, or found bathed in silence?
Does art give birth? Is art alive?
What do you think? Why ask questions about art?
In the meantime enjoy the slide show: In the Reflective
Mirror / Various Artistic Influences.
- The Whipping Machine, Collective Enterprises
Productions 1989, Painted Bride Art Center
- The Whipping Machine, Michael Davenport, Walter
Smith, Van Grimes 1989
- The Whipping Machine, Painted Bride Art Center, 1989
- Next Wave Festival, Brooklyn Academy of Music
- Molissa Fenley and Dancers, Geologic Moments: Next
Wave Festival 1986, original photo Marcus Leatherdale, digital remix Walter
- Critics Pick, Solo Exhibition, Computer Art, Villanova Art Gallery 2001, Walter Smith & First Friday,
Walter Smith, Robert Wulbrecht, Marita Fitzpatrick
- 2 Men 4 Walls 1 Month, Highwire Gallery 1991,
Walter Smith & Mark Stolte
- Eiko & Koma’s New Moon Stories: Next Wave
Festival 1986, original photo Marcus Leatherdale, digital remix Walter Smith
- Commodore Amiga Computer, Genesis of Computer Art 1985
- Michael Clark and Company: Next Wave Festival
1986, original photo Marcus Leatherdale
- Ash Ra Tempel, The Gatherings Concert Series, St Mary’s Church,
University of Pa.
- Anna Teresa de Keersmaeker: Next Wave Festival
1986, Brooklyn Academy of Music 1986
- Scenes from CIVIL warS, Act v – the Rome
section, by Robert Wilson and Philip Glass, original photo Peter Simon, digital
remix Walter Smith
- Steve Roach, Ambient Music, & Relache, Philadelphia Ensemble for Contemporary
- John Cage: Next Wave Festival, Brooklyn Academy
of Music 1986, photo Peter Hujar
- Life and Stolen Innocence, Walter Smith, Highwire
Gallery 1992, Philadelphia Pa
- Philip Glass: Next Wave Festival, Brooklyn
Academy of Music 1986, original photo Lynn Davis, digital remix Walter Smith
- Robert Wilson: Next Wave Festival, Brooklyn
Academy of Music 1986, original photo Peter Hujar, digital remix Walter Smith
- Impossible Theater Social Amnesia: Next Wave
Festival 1986, original photo by Erik Kvalsvik, digital remix Walter Smith
- Merce Cunningham’s Summerspace with scenery and costumes by Robert
Rauschenberg, original photo by Jack Mitchell, digital remix Walter Smith
- Post Canvas and Paint Series 10.13.2010.6:48.a.m.
Digital Artist, Walter Smith